This recipe is not just any recipe, because a single bite of this dessert will transport you to your childhood, it will bring back memories of snacks and family celebrations and will even be able to remove feelings. We are talking about homemade egg pudding, perhaps the most classic of desserts, and the most useful since it is easy to make, requires few ingredients, and never fails. Well, almost never.
Homemade Egg Pudding: Tips and Tricks
You have to be careful when pouring the caramel because the amount must be adequate. If you overdo it, the caramel flavor will cover everything. Covering the base of the flaneras with a thin layer is enough to give it a touch of color and flavor.
Even knowing that the baking temperature is 180º C, you have to find the point of cooking, since it depends on each oven, so be patient and try to find the perfect cooking point. In fact, the rush and the preparation of this dessert do not combine well, since, once the cooking is finished, you have to remove the mold and leave the flan in the fridge for 24 hours. Don’t get carried away by the urge to sink your teeth into it and remember: the wait will be worth it!
Perhaps the most basic recommendation to achieve the perfect flan has to do with the mixture, which must be uniform, homogeneous, and without bubbles. The more you whisk, the more air it will have, so it is recommended not to beat, but to stir the mixture until all the ingredients are incorporated, thus preventing holes from forming.
And now, the best-kept secret to achieving the most delicious of puddings surely concerns the baking, which is done in a bain-marie and in the oven. You should know that, although it is not necessary to cover the puddings, the water should not boil too much, or even splash the inside of the molds, and to achieve this you can put the shells of the eggs that you have used on the water. Did you know?
If you wish, since a picture is worth a thousand words, you can see with your own eyes how to prepare egg custard in the easiest and most successful way in the world.
Preparation, how to make homemade egg pudding, the traditional recipe
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 500 ml of milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence or 1 vanilla bean
- 150 gr of sugar
- For the caramel
- 100 grams of sugar
- 4 tablespoons of water plus 30-40 ml of hot water
- 1 dessert spoon of lemon juice
- 6 silicone flan molds
- Put the milk in a saucepan along with the cinnamon stick and vanilla over medium-high heat.
- As soon as it starts to boil, remove it from the heat, cover the pot and let it cool down and infuse for about 30 minutes.
- To prepare the caramel, put the sugar in a small skillet or saucepan over medium heat, along with the 4 tablespoons of water and the lemon juice. Stir a bit so it begins to dissolve with a metal spoon.
- Remove the spoon and wait without stirring until the caramel begins to turn a golden color.
- Take it away from the fire and do not touch it at any time because it is at a very high temperature and can cause serious burns.
- Heat the 40 ml of water in the microwave until it boils and pour it little by little into your caramel and stir it with a spoon. The objective is to obtain a caramel that does not harden even in the fridge when we let the puddings rest, so if you see that it hardens in the saucepan, try adding more hot water until it remains fluid.
- Pour the caramel into the 6 molds.
- In a bowl, crack the 4 whole eggs, and for the other two yolks that we need, crack the two eggs in another bowl, letting the white and the direct yolk come out with the rest of the eggs.
- Heat the oven to 180ºC with heat up and down and place an oven rack in the middle where we will later put the tray with the puddings.
- Stir the 4 whole eggs together with the 2 yolks and the sugar for the flan with a few rods until the mixture is homogeneous.
- Pour the mixture into the molds and place them on a baking tray that is a certain height.
- Fill the tray with water until it covers the molds halfway and place it in the oven at medium height.
- Let them cook in a bain-marie in the oven for about 25-30 minutes or until, when you insert a needle into the flan, it comes out dry.
- Take them out of the oven, and when they have cooled put them in the fridge and let them rest for 24 hours.
With what to accompany the egg pudding
There is a multitude of options to choose from when accompanying the egg custard, and all of them will make your mouth water.
If you don’t want to get away from the more traditional flavors, accompany the flan with a little whipped cream and extra caramel.
If, on the other hand, you want to give your traditional egg custard a twist, you can accompany it with ice cream, chocolate, nuts, condensed milk, dulce de leche, or fruit. A truly original and summary proposal is to garnish the tropical fruit flan to give it a fresh and fun touch. Add some cubes of papaya and pitahaya and the result will surprise you.
Finally, if you are one of those who seek to innovate, put yourself to the test and dare to create your own combination of flavors, you will undoubtedly enjoy the process!